Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Week in Review 8/1/11--8/5/11 Welcome Back Thoughts on the week and year

First week back to school, but a strange feeling. I've come to the conclusion that so little will change this year so far as structure and materials that it's not feeling like a new year, just a continuation. I'm okay with that, it's just not as fun as an excited first day with new stuff. Maybe I'll get that feeling in a month or so when I start new bible studies with the boys. I digress.

So, our week in review.
There was one structural difference: I Love the adjusted science and history rotation. Having longer blocks of time available because of alternating days, has really made science experiments and notebooking more enjoyable for everyone. It has also made for calmer history sessions. I'm happy with the adjustment and the boys seem to be also.

Day one with the Little League was rough. They were all in s  l  o  w    m  o  t  i  o  n...I mean really ssssslllllllllooooooooowwwwwwww motion. I can't expect a 9, 8, 6, and 3 year old to actually want to do school after a 6-week lazy summer, so after my initial annoyance, we sprung back into reality and enjoyed the rest of the week. Alexander the Great retained all but a few of the phonemes, and he can sound out like crazy. The Ant has so many of his math facts memorized, and The Ax Man is remembering so much and really showing me he is truly an upper grammar student.  This is gonna be a great year of home schooling those boys. The A-bomb is three. He is wonderful one minute and terrible the next. Yeah, he's three. We love him. We'll get through it and before long, he'll be in school, too. He's already learning so many of the PR songs :)

Darling yet Diva is flexing her Diva muscles a little as the inevitable p u b e r t y sets in, but academically, she's ready for full on middle school and is handling the workload well. I am finished a little earlier with the Little League now and we have a 1-1.5 hour block teaching session around 1:30 or 2ish. We finish up our session and she either does her work or waits until the morning. I think this is working for her. She also stepped up to full on TOG personal planning this year. Keeping consistent will be a challenge for her, but we'll get there.

My 8th grader, Lil' Mother continues her consistently helpful behavior. She gets her work done and does her chores mostly well (a little lazy on chores every now and then). She's finishing up a FL Virtual School class successfully, moving on to finish Alg. 2 this semester and will probably do some Art of Problem Solving online class in the spring. I'm upping her number of TOG questions this year and placing a focus on literary analysis, not just reading great literature. I'm expecting her to really polish her skills this year. I feel like she's my first kiddo to be just where I want all of them to be when they are officially freshmen. I'm so pleased. Mostly, though, she is a great gift from the Lord to me. She is sweet, humble, and has a servants heart. She is my right hand and I missed her smile when she went away for one week.

Both high school boys are starting to grow. One is really heading off onto his own. If all goes well, this will be Rockin' Out Guitar Dudes last full semester at home. The plan is to get him at the local college spring semester 2012. I can't tell you how his first week went because he's helping his dad, who is simultaneously house sitting and recovering from knee surgery. Hopefully, when I sit down for our first meeting on Sunday evening, I'll be pleased.

Bard and Book Devourer would rather live in books than in real life. He's 14. He likes laziness. He's working on it. He started out a little slow this week, but he actually beat me out of bed on Thursday to get his work done (read -- get caught up) and end the week with a bang. Keep him in your prayers, please. He's caught between enjoying childish things and wanting to be a man. I try to remember that might be hard. I try to enjoy him as much as I can. I'm just as torn by the spectrum as he is :(

So, that was our first week. We got all our work complete -- at least 6 out of 7 kids (meeting pending). We even did art. I'm so proud of myself for that one. The Wordless Wed. post below shows their work. I'm gonna do a more academic list of stuff in a separate post. I guess I felt like talking today :)

2 comments:

Heather Lynn said...

This was a great read. We will not start until the 29th. I think if you can do it with that many, surely I can handle it with 2. Right?

Sonshine Classical Academy said...

I only have 2 kids (ages almost 4 and just over 1) and it is encouraging to see how you do it with so many. Thanks for sharing! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win