Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, April 22, 2011

How to use PR skills in writing across the board Activity 1 - keyword outlining, sentences and paragraphs

I advocate this area of schooling so often that I have gotten many questions on how to teach this. My first thought is really, Mrs. Beers will show you in the DVDs how to do this for literature, so you should follow the same model for history or science. I'll give you a couple of conversations in this post that will exemplify the process. Here is a post on Designing sententeces from notetaking (early PR3)and turning notes into sentences, then into a paragraph. We did this in the PR lit. study, but the process would be the same for history or science. Keep in mind, the questions I ask and the skills contained therein have already been taught in PR.

We get started by looking at one sentence at a time, much like SWB keyword outlines. I have taught them a great place to start is by using the simple subject and simple predicate. After looking for the simple skeleton, I also teach them to look inside the complete predicate if it gives better information. Using the President's book we use in history, here's how I would teach it:


About which president did we just read?
William H. Taft (write I. William H. Taft for your outline on the board)

What is something you remember about President Taft?
He was over 300 pounds.

Good. What are the key words from your fact?
over 300 pounds
That's right.
(On the board, Your outline now looks like:
I. William H. Taft
A. over 300 pounds)

Axel, what fact do you remember?
I don't remember one.

Okay, let's read our paragraph again. "Weighing over 300 pounds, WHT had the distinction of being the largest president. A special bathrub had to be installed for him at the White House." Did you hear a new fact?
Yes, they had to build a special bathtub for him.

Good. Can you give me keywords from that sentence?
build special bathtub.

Good work. (Write this on the board as B.:
I. WHT
   A. over 300 pounds
   B. build special bathtub

We'll read through one sentence at a time together, picking out the key words. I'll write the key word phrases on the board as we go. By the end of the session, I'll have a complete outline on the board
I. WHT
   A. over 300 pounds
   B. build special bathtub
   C.  progressive policis
   D. established federal postal savings system
   E. adopted 16th Amendment (collection of personal income taxes)

Possible assignments:
1. Copy the outline onto your own paper. Be sure to follow the correct format (I'd probably draw a colored line through the W in William and the A. B. C. et al to show the format and lining up in an outline

2. In your own words (close those books!), take our keyword outline and create your own complete sentences. An exercise in sentence writing.

3. Take the sentences and put them together to form a paragraph. If you dc cannot do this on their own, then have them narrate the sentences to you, then you dictate the sentence back to them so they can write it OR you can write their sentences and they can copy them. The narration to dictation is the more advanced skill and a great way to get some narration in for the day. For those able to handle larger sized dictation,
you might even write their sentences down, then choose to do the dictation as a whole paragraph. This is all quite dependent on your student's abilities.

4. You can work through one step a day or do it all at once. You know your schedule better than I! It is important not to exasperate the student. We want the writing to be an enjoyable process.

1 comment:

mamaks3 said...

This is awesome--Thanks so much. I'm seriously considering TOG and PR for my 7 and 9y/0 boys. Your Blog is so helpful.

kbd

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win