Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Two days in the Life of PR3 - Grammar through Literature -- Becoming a better Teacher

Well, yesterday we learned the 3 ways in which to use quotation marks (Robert Fulton Literature Study, Student Notebook pg. 41). We read aloud in unison 3 times the usage of quotation marks as on the top of the page, then we dictated the rules as noted in the teacher's manual. As directed in the DVD, we went through the excerpt from the story, adding quotation marks and discussing which rule applied and showed us "why" we were putting q.m. in the first place.

So, today, I thought I would insert a mom created lesson to reinforce. They are so young, so we are going rather slowly through PR3. I plan on taking about a year and half to complete it all. My boys are only in 2nd and 3rd grades and this is a complex lesson when you approach it as a whole learning lesson (all three reasons at once).

Back to my teacher created lesson. Not much really. We turned to page 36 in the student notebook and I had them highlight every quotation mark. Then, we kept our hand overotp pg. 41, so we could quickly reference the rules. As we read through each quotation mark, we would stop and identify which rule applied. Perfect assignment to cement their learning. We will be sure to point it out in our reading every day by simply pulling up an example or two of each rule in our daily reading. No big deal, just showing that application, application, application to the whole of Language Arts.
\
GO PR! Mrs. Beers has taught me how to use real literature to teach language. It has long been my desire and now, from teaching training in PR, is attainable. What a difference a good instructional program makes.

2 comments:

Ritsumei said...

Sounds like it's going well. Looking at real literature using the rules is simple, but I'll bet it's effective!

Tina said...

I have learned that *I* truly am a visual, kinesthetic learner. If I can see and practice something, I can remember and apply it in all of my teaching. It's funny how PR is a classical program, but has really reinforced Charlotte Mason in my little world.

Thanks for stopping by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win