Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Some inspiration from a wise and beautiful friend

One of my favorite things about being a part of an online community is seeing the glory of God work all over the world. During a recent conversation with such a friend as is dedicated to the Lord, serving her large family well through home schooling, and via online communities, spreading godly, womanly wisdom, she shared something with me. It's a quote about a Catholic Saint, Therese of Lisieux, who, as my friend put it, "was cannonized not for anything huge and drastic that she did. It was because of the exact opposite. She is known for her "little way." She believed in doing little things well for the love of God. (in the quote below, her "flowers" are her small ordinary acts that she offered to the Lord out of love for him).
She knew as a Carmelite nun she would never be able to perform great deeds. " Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love." She took every chance to sacrifice, no matter how small it would seem. She smiled at the sisters she didn't like. She ate everything she was given without complaining -- so that she was often given the worst leftovers......These little sacrifices cost her more than bigger ones, for these went unrecognized by others. No one told her how wonderful she was for these little secret humiliations and good deeds.

Therese continued to worry about how she could achieve holiness in the life she led. ........"Unfortunately when I have compared myself with the saints, I have always found that there is the same difference between the saints and me as there is between a mountain whose summit is lost in the clouds and a humble grain of sand trodden underfoot by passers-by....... So I sought in holy Scripture some idea of what this life I wanted would be, and I read these words: "Whosoever is a little one, come to me." It is your arms, Jesus, that are the lift to carry me to heaven. And so there is no need for me to grow up: I must stay little and become less and less."


Therese's "little way" of trusting in Jesus to make her holy and relying on small daily sacrifices instead of great deeds .......[and] to find holiness in ordinary lives. ......


Therese of Lisieux is one of the patron saints of the missions, not because she ever went anywhere, but because of her special love of the missions, and the prayers and letters she gave in support of missionaries. This is reminder to all of us who feel we can do nothing, that it is the little things that keep God's kingdom growing.
 This is how I want to be remembered. I'm so encouraged. Thank you, 8FillsTheHeart

2 comments:

LaughingLioness said...

Beautiful! An ordinary woman who did what was in front of her with what she had in her hand. I love this story!!

Kristi said...

I really enjoy reading your blog :) This story is really inspiring, it would most definately be a blessing to be remembered like that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win