Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Affording and Growing Your Own Library

I was just telling someone today that my public library has most of the Grammar and Dialectic books for TOG and some Rhetoric ones. Since I have a first glimpse this year of the R books, and I prefer to own them so my dc can mark in them, I could invest now in R books for my future students and try not to spend any money on the other levels. Here's how I can afford this: Think Used.

Do you have $20/month for books? Check out your friends of the library regularly with a booklist in hand. Garage sales sometimes offer bargains. Paperback swap, too. Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, HomeSchoolClassifieds, Vegsource, SwapBoards on the Well Trained Mind Forum, Thriftbooks, yahoo groups etc., etc., etc.

I suggest investing in History Core books first. Use Bookshelf Central to find the Multi-Unit Books and get started. You'll also need a good Atlas. One Atlas can be used forever! Lower level atlases are plentiful at most libraries.

After you get a nice core library, then add literature, then churchhistory. Save Philosophy for last.

Do you know about Swagbucks? It's a search engine that you may freely acquire "bucks" and shop at the Swagstore. I have received Amazon gift cards and gotten 5 books this semester, simply by using the Swagbucks search engine instead of Google or Bing. It's free. It's easy. You don't have to do anything special and it helps with TOG books or science books or....or...or...All I did was link from a friend (the link I provided IS my "referral link"), download a toolbar and here come the free books (shipping and all)!

Finally, since TOG does regular updates to keep in-print books in their lists, you can also ask others for resources. Your new DE TOG year 1 will not have the same books as my 1-st Year 1 Redesigned. Your library may have the Out-of-Print books listed in other TOG years. Ask others what their year plan uses.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win