Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What's Cookin'? Meal planning made easy

Mealtime can be a real time sucker around here. We try and rush through breakfast and lunch so we can get back to school and then allow for a long and slow dinner so we can talk and enjoy mealtime. In order to save a few minutes here, a few minutes there, I plan a month's worth of meals and follow a boring schedule of the same foods weekly for breakfast and lunch, with the same "main idea" for dinner. Before we start school, the dc are allotted a toast/bagel/croissant and a fruit serving and with lunch a serving of veggies, and always veggies and salad for dinner. Two snacks daily provide more fruits and veggies and probably some Ramen noodles and pbj. Here's our school meal plan:

Mon. - Sunday; breakfast; lunch (L.O. means leftovers).
Mon - burrito, L.O.
Tues - Momma McMuffin; spaghetti and meatballs
Wed - Muffins, hard-boiled eggs; tuna-veggie-mac-n0cheese
Thurs - oatmeal; beans and rice
Fri - hot cereal; burgers and fries
Sat - cold cereal; sandwiches
Sun - jumbo breakfast :) waffles/pancakes/french toast, sausage/bacon, eggs, fruit, juice; snack b/c we eat dinner early on Sundays.

Our main ideas for dinner are based on the night of the week and my gumption :) so we have:
Mon - pork
Tues - beef
Wed. - frozen casserole (lasagna, mac-n-cheese, pot pies, etc)
Thurs - chicken
Fri - fish
Sat - taco
Sunday - spaghetti

I often get in the mood for vegetarian, so if I feel like it, we'll skip a meat night (or two) and have something with beans or lentils.  I also make sure one main meal is some sort of salad with meat as an ingredient. Dh likes meat. I gotta make it for him :) Having the general idea allows me to shop sales b/c I know I'll use 4 chicken meals a week, etc. I also incorporate left overs wherever possible, so I can drop any old meal in any old day.
I am looking forward to trying some recipes from TWTM forum, especially those breakfast bars and cookies --- they sound really yummy!
What's your favorite recipe? I'd love for you to share!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win