Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Week in Review Aug. 2 -- 6, 2010

Our first week back was a great success. We actually accomplished all of our goals and fit in a field trip and sleepover. How 'bout that?! I'm surprised, but pleased. I blogged about our first day specifically here.
The worst part is...I'm bushed. I've got some other things in life draining me emotionally right now, so I'm hoping those things are the source of my exhaustion and not our school Schedule.

At first glance, my physics program is way too super. I planned a heavy course load, so I'm gonna skip about half of everything with the lower grammar students. I don't have the energy or the time to do quite so much with them. I'll have to find balance there for sure.

All
Our family read aloud was on Hudson Taylor. We'll continue this for 3 weeks during lunch each day.
Nature Journal Wednesday. So sweet.
Memorization of Presidents song, Matt 10:21, Doxology, and an Emily Dickinson poem (varied among ages)
Add Millard Fillmore to president cards and mini-books (pictures to follow in a few weeks)

Lower Grammar started using a checklist, instead of cards this week. They did well. Tony really took off with it. I guess he's a checklist kiddo like me :)  Axel is showing his lazy bones, so we've got some work to do with his attitude (bleh).
5 math lessons (The Ant: composing 5's and 10's; time; Ax Man: fractions, area, review lessons)
5 bible videos
Memorization: Lines one and two of The Caterpillar
All their computer work (see sidebar)
In science we began our physics study with an introduction, some copy work and our favorite part, hands on fun! Here's a photo or two of our fun, followed by the summary from the Little League. We practiced photo journaling by captioning each picture in our notebooks.
We made a potato trap and used a plumb bob to see where it should drop. We had a small and big potato.
The small potato landed onteh matchstick and went about a centimeter.

Then we dropped the large potato. It went much farther down the matchstick because it had more mass and gravity pulled it farther. 

I plan on using photo journaling a lot this year with science. It helps them remember better to see the steps. Each time, they'll dictate to me, I'll write their sentences on the board, then they'll copy them into their notebook. I was pleased with the results.

History brought us to mid 19th century China and Japan and their relationship with European and American countries. We read about the cultures of both nations and discovered the location on the map of Asia, each country and the Pacific Ocean. It was nice to see them understand the wrapping around of the Pacific Ocean. We learned about the Unequal Treaty, the Sepoy Rebellion, The Taiping Rebellion an intro. to Florence Nightengale, Hudson Taylor. We also used our dictionary skills to look up the many different cultural words we came across. We colored China's flag and completed a map of Asia with countries and major bodies of water.
We also read a wonderful book about Emily Dickinson. So sweet. As history memorization, instead of our usual history leanings, we are learning,
The Phonics Road brought us review of spelling lists 1-24 this week. I had them stand up and write on the chalkboard and white board and write the words I called out. They did a great job and this gave us a chance to sing our Rule Tunes for the first time in a month. We also reviewed all the Building Codes to date, singing songs and making sure they were ready to move forward. Since they've already finished the literature portion of Y2, we are reading aloud Farmer Boy, well, the boys are reading it to me. Using the skills learned in PR, we outlined and took notes in history and science this week and also did some copy work as handwriting practice.  We also started week 25 in grammar and spelling with a focus on adverbs.
Ax Man also started Typing Web. He's very happy about that.


 
I spent this week reviewing letters O, C, and A for our letter of the week plan. We also added D to the mix. D for dime, dinosaur, dog. We also started using a white board on the wall for writing practice. We need to take letters one at a time for a while. He struggled with the 3 sounds of A. I should have stuck with my original thought of one sound per week. I'll return to that next week. We read Moncures's My "o" Sound Box and My "a" Sound Box, then the Flanagan books, Cats The Sound of Short A, Hot Pot The Sound of Short O, Dogs The Sound of D.

DyD introduced AtG to Family Math. They had fun and she did a great job. She will grow into a wonderful Momma and teacher some day :)
Upper Grammar/Dialectic
Speaking of DyD, she was not happy this week b/c I have graduated her to planner, versus logging her work. She doesn't like to plan ahead, she prefers spontaneous activity.

History: She started Dialectic literature this week with an abridged version of Tom Sawyer. I'm so happy she's hitting on this! I love this story and I am so pleased that 4 of 5 dc will be familiar with it now. She also dug into China and Japan and had an awful lot of geography. I printed out some extra "fill in the blank" type maps from Enchanted Learning DyD loves worksheets. She read Shipwrecked and completed a crossword puzzle for it, via TOG. She finshed Japan the Land by Bobbie Kalman and Ch. 39 of Trial and Triumph. She enjoyed an afternoon of origami. For her Writing Aids assignment, she had to summarize an encyclopedia article on a favorite animal of her choice. She chose cats. She also read the Dialectic lit study, Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickenson. She'll be doing most of the D lit. selections this year. She read Medicine Encyclopediea: Florence Nightengale.

She fiinshed 5 days of math in Singapore 4B. Mostly, it was full of reviews this week, but we did have a heavy lesson in metric conversions, using decimals. I can't believe I'm already there with her. Seems like a day ago we were skip counting.
She's pictured above in science. Her course of study includes reading DK encyclopedia and outlining this week. She also completed vocabulary study and a crossword puzzle of her vocabulary words. She did  a great job following along her lesson plan and working independently in science.
In Phonics Road 3, we worked on Verb Forms (present, pres. participle, past, past participle, base verbs). In addition to reviewing last year's work, she practiced verb forms and plenty of sentence marking -- something I love about PR. Each time a new part of speech is introduced and learned, it is applied via original sentence writing, complete with markings. The markings are the way into diagramming. I am so confident in their abilities after teaching from this program. The best part for me, is they are truly learning and they have left the over practice of other programs. It's a world of difference between working hard and hating language arts. I love PR ;)  We completed week 6 of the Robert Fulton literature study. Since we're a little ahead of this era in history, it makes for a tender review and a great lit study. She continued in typing web and enjoyed Family math with AtG.

Dialectic
Science as above, with Kingfisher encyclopedia and outlining, vocab work, and crossword puzzle.

History: TOG weeks 19 & 20 Westerners in Asia and Franklin Pierce and the Crimean War. Abraham Lincoln's World, The British Empire and Queen Victoria, Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson, Medicine Ency: Florence Nightengale, Tom Sawyer, Church in History, Streams of Civilization 2Invitation to the Classics. Our cycle requires her to fill out maps, read cores, supplements and literature and outline the cores this week. She did her vocab on quizlet. She was assigned the famous people  She also continued her constitution study using Our Living Constitution

Write Shop I lesson 8, days 1-3. Here's a blog about that great lesson. For her topic, she picked cookies, so she had to make some (aw shucks) and photograph her journey. Can't wait to see the finished product!

100 Algebra I problems :) (20 a day)

She began her study in Art of Argument and Chapter 10 of The Latin Road 1. Also, Editor-n-Chief.

All of her computer work (see side column)

She gets the super star student award for the week. She just gets it done. Nobody works as diligently as she.

Rhetoric (doing Dialectic lit still)
History: TOG weeks 19 & 20 Westerners in Asia and Franklin Pierce and the Crimean War. Imperialism: A History in Documents, The Age of Nationalism and Reform, The Civil War: 1850-1895 Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson, Medicine Ency: Florence Nightengale, Tom Sawyer,  Our cycle requires the boys to fill out maps, read cores, supplements and literature and outline the cores this week. They do their vocab on quizlet. They were assigned the famous people  They also continued her constitution study using Our Living Constitution and began the Gov't elective in TOG looking at the Fugitive Slave Act and beginning God and Government by Gary Demar. I'm looking forward to the gov't/bible study of this book.


Write Shop I lesson 8, days 1-3. Here's a blog about that great lesson.



ROGD: 100 Algebra II problems :) (20 a day) via Dana Mosely and BaBD moved forward LoF Alg.1 (a lesson a day)

They began their study in Art of Argument and Chapter 10 of The Latin Road 1. Also, Editor-n-Chief.


All of their computer work (see side column)

  Bard started the "Write Your Own Series"

For science, they began our Honors Biology Course. This was their work for the week from Apologia Biology and living books:
Apologia Bio: read intro and 1st 20 pages; read bio on Carl Linnaeus; Microbe Hunters Ch. 1; and Keeping a Nature Journal by Claire Walker Leslie (3-weeks)

They also took a field trip to the post office for boy scouts and a sleepover for a dear friends b-day. They both had a slow start, so already...Sat. homework YUCK! They have a heavy courseload, but if they'll give it their all, they'll be alright.

RoGD really spent a ton of time on his guitar this week. He's coming along so very nicely.

BaBD spent a lot of time sleeping. He's in that puberty growth, grumpy, sleepy time. He is also spending too much time reading the Harry Potter books, too late at night. I finally took it away from him this afternoon. I love my teenagers, but I sure can't wait for them to be past the stage.

Finally, they both began their first online classes via FL Virtual School. They are both enrolled in HOPE (Health Opportunities through Physical Education) and RoGD is in Driver's Ed. As you might imagine, he's attacked that head on! Bard's too busy being sleepy to care, but he did get started. If they apply themselves, I'm hoping they'll knock these our relatively quickly, then they can have a lighter year.

WHEW! I'm tuckered out putting that all down. It took far too long, I'll have to find a way to cut that shorter. I hope you read this far...you might be asleep by now. If not, thanks for reading ALL THE WAY DOWN!

11 comments:

Saille said...

Ooh, we're on the same history rotation, and you're using Physics Workshop, right? Cool. We won't start our new stuff until the first week of September, so I'll be watching with interest to see what's working well at your house and what you could do without.

Tina said...

At first glance, here's my thoughts on Physics Workshop. Love it and it's perfect for the listed age of 8+. The Little League can build it and follow the directions. I have seen, though, that completing the building and reading AND some sort of written activity will make for waaay too long on science time. I may adjust our overall schedule cut our time in half. That way, we won't skip any lessons (they do build on one another), but still allow the girls to dig deeper. We shall see. This is all first impressions.

Monica . . . said...

just, wow. My hat is off to you, Tina. Best wishes for a great, smooth year with some rest for you, I hope!

~Monica

Little Badgers Academy said...

What a great start and a busy week!
Drivers Ed...wow, my cousin is right about this age, I know how you feel!

Mom31257 said...

What a big week, especially for the first week back! It sounds amazing and exhausting. I can understand you needing rest. You better get some this weekend if next week is similar.
Hats off to you!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Boy, this makes me tired just looking at it! :-) Seriously, you are one AWESOME mom for doing this for your children! Congratulations on a great week!

Tifani said...

I am impressed, in intimidated, and inspired all at once!

Kash said...

Add me to the list of those impressed but also tired. :) Congrats on the first week back!

Dee said...

You are a monster! LOL! (meant in a good way) What a wonderful first week you had! I'm hoping to just get in 3 subjects our first week and here you have had such a wonderfully full week! Great job!

Dee :)

Ginger said...

Just came across your blog and your curriculum line-up for your littles looks a lot like ours will for Grade 2. We also use TOG, PR, and Apologia. We also use First Language Lessons and Writing with Ease and may slowly transition to TOG's writing add-on. We use Math-U-See and supplement with Math Whizz computer tutoring. (I love seeing another family with similar overall curriculum and I'll have to keep in touch with your blog)...My question is how do you incorporate/use Spelling City? I never used that resource and would like to know more about it. Do you use the free version or do you have the Membership? How/What do you use it for? Thanks!

Tina said...

Ginger,
I have entered all the spelling words from PR to Spelling City. Look under Tina Gilbert as parent (I think, might be Teacher). It makes for great practice and review of the PR words.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win