Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Breakfast anyone?

Time is truly of the essence in our house, so I thought I'd cook ahead a bit and knock out some breakfast meals. Alicia (my adopted daughter) came over and helped me out. We made 4 weeks worth, 2 days out of each week in about an hour and some change. It will be so worth it on school days!


Here I am rolling breakfast burrittos while Alicia laid out some Momma McMuffins. She said she definately Never work at McDonald's after working with so many english muffins.

It was very easy to pepare.
Materials:
48 tortillas - I used some small for the Little League and the large burrito ones for the Elders.
4.5 dozen eggs
4 pounds breakfast sausage
3 bags frozen peppers (red, yellow, green)
small jar taco sauce
1-2 cups of shredded cheese, your preference on amount and flavor (we used taco cheese from Wal-mart)

Directions:
Begin browning the sausage and keep breaking it apart so its crumbly, not chunky
spray or oil 2- 9x13 casserole and 2-brownie size dishes
Put frozen peppers in strainer to thaw
While you're browning the sausage get to crackin', the eggs that is!
Sprinkle the peppers first, then add the sausage (worked out to 2 cups per lg. dish and 1 per small if I remember right)
Add beaten eggs, same portions as sausage, again if I remember right
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 min, or until the eggs are cooked.

While the eggs are cooked, you can begin assembly of the tortillas by speading a teaspoon of taco sauce and sprinkling your desired amound of cheese per burrito. Add eggs (about 1/4 cup), wrap and freeze.

To eat, you can microwave or re-heat via oven or toaster over. I served with salsa and sour cream. Delicioso!

Momma McMuffins
4 dozen whole wheat english muffins
4.5 dozen eggs
30-48 slices of cheese (not everyone here will eat cheese)
3 pounds of bacon

Cook bacon. Place 1--1.5 slices on muffins.
Lay out muffins and place cheese slices.
Crack and scramble eggs. Place cooked eggs on top of sandwiches.
Wrap and freeze.

Reheat via microwave or toaster over in the morning.

Don't forget to take everything out of the freezer the night before!

Bon Appetit!

Some other easy to freeze ahead items are muffins, breads, pancakes, waffles..you get the picture.
Quick breakfasts include oatmeal, cream of wheat and other hot cereals. Of course, cold cereal too, but it never seems to fill the dc well enough.  We always serve fresh fruit with any breakfast we eat. Since we dine around 8:30, I allow a piece of fruit and a slice of toast or bagel every morning before school starts--- you don't get up and get it --- you don't get it. School starts promptly at 7am. Hope this helps ya'll as much as it does me!

4 comments:

momof4sweetsisters said...

Wow that was a lot of work! How do they taste coming out of the freezer? That's what keeps me from making them.
We made breakfast parfaits, pancakes, and muffins a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't find the pic you had mentioned.

Tina said...

If you steam them to heat, they are fantastic. I usually keep them wrapped in foil and use the toaster over b/c I can start them and walk away. They are not quite as tender as "fresh" but they are still tasty and worked great!

Homeschooling6 said...

Hi, Tina, I'm thinking of doing something like this but for lunch. Maybe making brown-bag lunches the night before. Breakfast for us is cereal around here. Quick and easy =)

Dee said...

Tina, I am so impressed. What a wonderful idea and time saver. I rent in a complex and our fridge is so small, but it gives me some ideas for lunch burritos which we buy lots of for easy lunches, and I'm not so sure they are so healthy. It would be great to make these ourselves with homemade ingredients!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win