Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Fantastic Science Moment!

November 14 has long been marked on the calendars of the Gilbert home -- the official inauguration of squirrel and dove hunting season! The boys got their first guns this past year (we have awesome grandparents!) and have been practicing their aim.

Using his birthday money, Johnny had already purchased the hunting ammunition necessary to begin their hunting adventure. Yesterday, they perched on a huge oak tree and surveyed the land. Jeremy came running in with east to west smiles because he had made the first kill.

Suddenly, the reality of my promise overtakes me. "If you kill it, I will cook it." Ugh. I have to cook a rodent. I really hate rodents. I have to bring a squirrel into my house on purpose!?!?

Jeremy loves his mother and maybe the enthusiasm helped a bit too, but he skinned, cleaned and cooked using his acquired knowledge. He has been hunting recipes for a couple of months. He took care of everything and served it up with peppers, onions and an omelet. Delicious! Yes. I ate it. Tastes gamy. And yes, it tastes like chicken!

Now, for the science portion. Today, Samantha was the successful predator and I bucked up a bit. We actually went outside and examined the innards. I was thrilled. I got to be teacher. We checked it out from every system, a great example as the elder boys are working through and anatomy unit study. Adding to the joy, the creature had a tapeworm. A great example as we just finished up a parasite week with the little brothers and both sisters. Incredible exercise in organs, digestion, skeletons, and bodily design as we explored the exterior too. What a great time. Talk about hands on science!

WOO HOO! Go Gilbert Gang!

1 comment:

momof4sweetsisters said...

Grrrrooooooooosssssssssss! I'm so glad it was you and not me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win