Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Workboxes for my Lil' Boys

I love to be organized (although, I must admit sometimes my theory is better than my practice). Well, I happened upon all the rage in home school organizations, the Workbox System. As per my general m.o., I am currently adjusting it to fit my space and needs and am to date only doing one box per day for my 1st and 2nd graders, as opposed to one per subject. In the box, I put the activities they have to do daily. We have a "Completed" box, so as they finish the objects, they put them in the Completed box. When their box is empty, they know they're finished for the day. I actually fill up the boxes on Saturday or Sunday evenings for the coming week by using a file folder in each day. Their paper assignments (math, science notebooking) go in the daily folder. Then I place the library books, labeled with a post-it note in the box too. I have used 3x5 index cards for the subjects that I keep in my cubby. So far, so good. It's not as cool sounding as the actual Workbox System, but it is definately helping me to be organized and encouraging the little guys in their school work.

Here's what was in our boxes this week, our first week back, so very light:

1. Science notebooking pages, including a daily spot for narration, mapwork, and animal picture printouts to place in the notebooks

2. Math flashcards - 20 each per day.

3. Library books for history read alouds.

4. Assigned reading (books or stories related to our Zoology studies)

5. Drawing or Writing Journal (They rotate daily, doing both for 15 minutes)

6. Card for Spelling

7. Card for Geography

8. Card for Reading aloud Science

9. Game to play together (like Go Fish, Crazy Eights, Letter cards to spell words, Puzzles)

I'll add photos of my new book shelves from my sweet friend (thanks J.K.) and the new dry erase board I scored for $12 (thank you wtm forum for your know how) b/c I'm very excited about both!

So far so good. Everything went very well in our first week of school!
If you like this idea and would like to see an example of someone who stuck to the original idea, check out this blog. Her boxes look great!

2 comments:

momof4sweetsisters said...

Neat boxes. Where is this room? I've never seen it? LIke boxes, like organization!

Tina said...

It's the dining/school room :) Just looks different with my new goodies! The library has been converted to a magic room with school storage closet and I moved all their school stuff to their bedrooms in book shelves last year. I am trying to keep a reasonable balance of what we use out in the open, without feeling cluttered with school stuff (good luck to me there!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win