Child, wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend

My photo
I love the Lord as much as a broken person can; love and loved by my husband; blessed by 5 amazing little people who have helped me to learn much about me; grateful to serve even more as God gives them to me; blessed every day to be a home school teacher; college student; I hope to change the world by loving as many people as possible, because there is nothing greater than loving another.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Welcome to Kiev, FL

Our studies this week take us to the High Middle Ages of the Rus (Russia). We have studied music, architecture, and general history from their beginnings as Vikings, Vladimir, and on to Ivans, the Great and the Terrible. To celebrate the Moscow of old, also known as the Third Rome (Constantinople being Rome 2nd), we made a pot of steaming hot Borscht. This soup, made with beets, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage has fed Russians for centuries. Well, I'd say for the next few weeks of winter, it'll feed a few Floridians too! For the most part, it was a hit; although 3 of the 7 of us could do with fewer beets. We rounded it out with some kinda Russian food, rye bread grilled cheese. The bread is Russian, and I thought I'd add the cheese just in case the soup wasn't a hit. Over dinner we enjoyed some Russian Sacred Choral Music I wish I could have included a picture ~ the soup is beautiful and vibrant with all the rich vegetables! Mmmmmm good...we'll be eating Russian for lunch tomorrow too! Off to finish the evening with some American Idol...back to the USA!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Swidget 1.0

Search & Win